Sunday, January 16, 2011

Hectic week

After four hours of marking on Thursday I was desperate to get out of the house and decided it would be an opportunity to journey out to Etobicoke to see Mum. I like the feeling of being a lone rider on the bus and subway... but I did also just want to visit Mum and make sure she’s doing okay. We had some hot drinks together and caught up.

Uncle Doug phoned while I was en route to Etobicoke, to say my grandmother and he would after all like to get together for dinner. Although I’d known they were coming into town they hadn’t wanted to make any commitments for dinner ahead of time—they weren’t sure how much energy she’d have left after a day of appointments. As luck would have it, their clinic and hotel were five minutes away from the condo. Having dinner meant we got to hear the story straight from the horse’s mouth... as they say. My grandmother’s appointment was for hip replacement assessment, but the doctor wants her to get a knee fixed first, so she said she might make another appointment to stay in Toronto for surgery in the summer. She’s visibly weaker than I’ve seen her before, but then, I haven’t seen her for about two years. Edwin met us for dinner at the Fireside Grill (the Mariott restaurant) and we stayed for a few hours before I went home to finish marking.

I finished marking the essays and uploaded the marks around 2am ! I felt a real sense of accomplishment, but I paid for that the next day.

So, on Friday, the next morning, I taught from 10-12, but immediately afterward had to go home and go to bed due to a headache. These headaches are typical when I’m that tired. I always feel it’s muscular as well though. I guess I worked for many hours at the computer on Thursday, and spent the rest of the day sitting, so I was bound to have tight muscles. My headaches doesn’t respond well to painkillers... just sleep; meh.

Unfortunately I overslept. I had wanted to get up around 3pm to finish an assignment and go to the job talk at school (required for one of the classes I’m taking). Instead I woke up 15 minutes after the job talk had started ! Waking up was almost like a nightmare, but real ! (Inception... ) I put it down to the intense day on Thursday. Come to think of it, Wednesday was busy too (snowstorm in the morning en route to specialist’s appointment, class at 3pm, bowling with friends). Well, I took a taxi to the job talk, was only half an hour late, and made arrangements to hand in the assignment later.

On Saturday we got up early. Luckily we had only a 5-minute walk through the snow to the Crown Princess downstairs to get to dim sum. After that we headed over to Goodwill to drop off some bags and boxes, and then we went up to William Ashley to order our wedding china and flatware. It will arrive in February.

Looking back, then, it was a whirl of activity from Wednesday on. I did get some relaxing pool and sauna time in on Friday night and tonight (Sunday), and I plan on watching the season premiere of Big Love before turning in tonight. Tomorrow is a new week... !

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.