Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Tuesday

So we are going to the Dominican for a few days in April to shoot a wedding! The couple is getting married in Canada too, and we've been invited to go to that ceremony as well, in late March. I'm all for weddings now; they're so interesting and fun! And there is lots of good food too!

For the destination wedding I'm excited to go somewhere new. I've never been to the Dominican Republic before. All I know right now is that it is right next to Haiti, which has been through a lot of trouble recently. It looks like there are some cases of cholera in Dominican too, since the two countries share a river (and cholera is waterborne). The Canadian government advises getting a vaccine, clearly something which is not yet available to the thousands of people who have it in Haiti right now.

Another report suggests there are 105 cases in Dominican, and one person died a couple of weeks ago. It sounds like the vulnerable people are not tourists but farm workers, though.

It makes me mindful of the need to support the Haiti relief effort, since I'm not sure how Dominican tourism would help those next door.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.